View Single Post
      12-04-2017, 11:20 AM   #73
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxredna View Post
I think the release of this M5 seals the deal for all real owners of M cars.

M (for Motorsports) is dead, my heart sinks seeing this car being launched.

AMG unfortunately have made advances in the last two generations and the brand seems to have discover its own niche with the cars getting more comfortable "in their own skin". AMG knows it is a comfortable street car with luxurious interior, usable power and a fun car to drive. Our definition of fun is noise, steering feel and an exciting engine matted to a strong drive train. With BMW vacating motorsports (no where to be seen at F1, nor are they making competitive GT3 cars) - BMW M is truly losing its identity in the market place - what does M stand for? Marketing? Mass Production?

I used to make fun of people driving AMG cars back in 2007 - because our E92 was so much more agile, engine was filled with character, 6MT was offered and DCT was aggressive. Now - I think it might be the opposite.

How is this M5 any different from a 550 M-sport sport (as a concept)?
The engine is a modification of the previous 4.4 L engine from F10 M5, the gearbox has "de-proved" by moving away from DCT to Auto, the steering has always been disappointing since the previous F10 M5 (fine.. it is excusable for me as it is a sedan).

M to me always meant more car than the money - it was not about pure profits and mass production efficiency through platform/engine sharing, BMW should (and deserves) to make majority of their profits in regular 3, 5, 7 series. M cars were always meant to be a HALO car, an aspirational brand, starting from the original S14 engine of E30 filled with character, the specially designed 4.0L V8 S65 of the E92, the cartoon like wheel arches of the 1M, car enthusiast always respected the M brand as a car built without compromises and M cars were always comfortable with the shoes it has to fill - now, there's no longer a spirit of owning an M car.

I currently own E30 M3, 1M, E92 M3, F10 M5 - I really hope I will buy another M car one day, but at the direction they are going, I am not so sure it will happen anytime soon.
I could not have said it better myself, bravo on a great post that nails it, especially the "M550iS" comment. That's what this car really is.

The F10 M5/M6 GC will be newest M cars cars I can see myself owning, unless they ever build a M2 GC 6MT (I probably have better odds winning the lotto than this).

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
CarlosM4399.00