GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
And the march against manuals continues.
not completely ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It seems to me that the real issue is scalability. As torque goes up, the planetary box scales better. The DCT and manual seem to require incrementally heavier, more costly components and materials at steeper rate than the planetary transmission does.
It's this.

It's a misread to think they're saying "it cannot be technically done" what they're saying is:
  1. We need a *platform* transmission we can build on
  2. It must not raise the unit cost by more than $X
  3. It must meet customer's needs for performance and comfort

As you move towards higher horsepower the dual-clutch setups aren't smooth as well as being relatively expensive, heavy and requiring large packaging. I think BMW and others are looking at this and seeing it's not a viable platform; not because of the engineering, but the overall product. We have bimmerpost threads about how "jerky" the DCT is now.

And mass production aren't the only ones: hypercars (at least pagani) are moving into the single automated clutch (AMT) direction like from Xtrac which I suppose would be an automatic sequential manual transmission meaning it's a manual transmission clutch and gear set with a computer controlling the clutch.

PAGANI
The Huayra BC features a 7-speed AMT (Automated Manual Transmission) developed from scratch and represents a new benchmark in this transmission technology. The gearbox, developed and manufactured by Xtrac, features a new electro-hydraulic actuation system and new carbon fibre synchronizers, designed to increase the precision of gear engagement and further reduce gearshift times. The clutch control program has also been heavily revised, allowing greater accuracy, despite the increased torque of the engine.

Last edited by GrussGott; 04-23-2017 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0