Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
I don't think it will be anytime soon as they will lose the "enthusiasts"business for sure but the trend towards dct/auto is real and strong.
But losses will result from a decision such as this,especially if alternatives are out there to fill this need as you pointed out.
Next thing you know there will be a Save the manual protests happening in a city near you.
Its being phased-out because MT is such a small % of vehicles sold. The cost of losing a small % of enthusiast may pale in comparison to the savings of not building and supporting MT.
I just don't get where the loss comes from for the MT.

Especially when it's a 0 dollar cost option.

Maybe if they keep the option how they have it now for the m5/m6 (meaning dealerships don't order them unless it's specifically built for a customer)

When I submitted my order for my 2016 m6- I had to sign a waiver stating that if I for any reason decided not to take the car (it's individual ext and int with a 6 spd MT) my deposit would be refundable but only after the car has been sold.

This seemed like a fair trade off.
My guess is they just don't want to develop two separate trannys for a vehicle and just draft and design one per car model,thus saving money by streamlining production/development and other processes.
Appreciate 1