03-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #40
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU View Post
I don't see this as a war between which transmission is better, everyone will always have their own opinions, but I see as a business case for BMW. Even though the rate at which MT's are sold is decreasing, I'm pleased the number of takers has not. MT availability is BMW's main distinguishing factor and I hope BMW continues to cater to the enthusiast crowd and at least gives us the option of buying an MT car. If in the future the MT should become an extra-cost option, I wouldn't mind paying a "reasonable" amount to have it.

That said, every time I drive an auto/dct car..I crave for the feedback of an MT car. That's just me though

I agree! In my mind, it's pretty clear which one is "better", and it's not the manual one. IMO, the DCT and maybe even ZF8 transmissions are significantly more performance oriented, capable and even more economic than the 6MT in my 335i. To make things worse, the newer cars (in my experience) actually feel slower and underpowered with MT, as opposed to the new ZF8 or DCT.

It's an emotional decision to buy an MT, more so than ever. I hope BMW continue to offer it, as an upgrade cost option if they have to. Still worth it for me.
Appreciate 0