03-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #35
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
one of the main reasons my future car will be an M4 is because of the manual transmission option

the fact that mercedes or lexus do not offer manual transmission gives a BIG advantage to bmw
+1
I would love to consider the IS 350 F but don't because they don't offer a manual. It is amazing anyone still buys them though! Everything is stacked against you! Lease specials only for autos, salesmen fight to sell you an automatic. The dealers don't order them so you almost have to buy on faith that the clutch-feel and shifting will be good.

The sales world is calling DCTs manuals and people are buying into it like cattle being led to pasture. I think most guys deep down know that the autos are really a sort of cop-out in the name of comfort so it eases their conscience when salespeople call them manuals. That they can shift faster and get better mileage in auto mode WHEN DRIVEN NORMALLY only helps sell them. Of course, so much of this faster 0-60 is based on launch control almost as much as the faster shifting. Take launch control out and things get closer because there is a lag in autos when they first engage. The final nail in the coffin is that F1 gearboxes use automatics so the only real reason is the control over the machine that you just don't get with an auto.

There is also the pride of knowing that you hit the shift just right and the ease that you can drift and manage the power with clutch and throttle. I think for transportation the auto is a great invention. I have a an auto minivan and love it in auto. I my wife has a DCT Auto mostly out of fear that she would be in traffic all the time, but car enthusiasts don't just buy a car for transportation. Electric steering is better than old hydraulic assist but you get so much more feedback from it that it makes driving a joy. Automatics are probably better if you don't care about long term reliability but they sap the so much of the joy and control.

I play soccer for fun and had a great run, faked out two people and was one on one with the goalie. I faked him and he slipped. I left the ball and went back to my spot and this kid yells at me, why didn't punch the ball in the goal in our friendly sunday pick up game? I told him because the joy was in the voyage to the goal using my skill to get around people. Scoring a goal didn't mean much anymore. I see automatics much the same way. The autos can score more goals for you, but the joy comes from using your skill and being master of the car, not the car being master of you.
Appreciate 0