View Single Post
      03-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #27
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
First the MT will go, then cars will eventually be autonomous....

I'm just glad the MT is still around for the time being. My next car will be an M3 6MT no question.
Never liked any manual transmission after 30 years driving and can't wait until all cars are autonomous...

Look, out of 20 cars in 30 years 14 were manual, 3 automatics and 3 dual-clutch. Each manual car had some kind of hesitation while upshifting, regardless of brand and type of clutch engagement, no matter how much I tried to learn tricks and maneuvers to avoid it, or how many driving schools I went so I could be a better manual driver. Never got that seamless acceleration, always some hesitation, the pause/stop/re-engage between some shifts (1-2, or 3-4) was there.

VW DSG and BMW M-DCT cured that forever. I still can shift manually, as fast as I can hit those paddles, and get the seamless acceleration that I always wanted, each time, all the time. To me, the best thing invented since the engine.

No more manuals for me. That was it.

Then we got the people around you in the street/highway. Too many people. Too many people that deeply, completely and absolutely despise driving and anything related to it. Too many distractions. To many things to do while driving except driving.

I cannot wait until all cars are autonomous. Then we can do weekends at driving skills-required, private racetracks just to remember what it made driving great. Really.
Appreciate 0