Thread: Winter tires
View Single Post
      09-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #59
bengals9
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Hi everyone... have two friends (yea, only two ) One got a M550 this summer and one got a M5.

1. As noted, the wheels are not compatible. The bolt pattern is fine, it is the offset.
2. BMW recommends the square setup in 19" wheels for the M5 because
a) More tire to absorb those lovely potholes with the 19s"
b) skinnier tires do better in the winter.
3. As noted, BMW sells the complete set (since they are all the same tire/wheel, they are sold individually). This is nice because
a) it is a real BMW wheel not a knock off
b) comes with everything you need - TPMS, balanced - heck, even the BMW center cap
c) is covered by your warranty and your tire and wheel warranty if you purchased that

Alas, it is more money to "do it yourself" and buy the wheels and then add your preferred snow tire - plus TPMS, plus mounting, plus balancing...

and I drove on 20" all seasons here in Chicago (swapped out my summer run flats on my 650GC). I had the Continental DWS tires. There were "ok" - the scary part is that occasionally the car would decide it was time to just sort of track towards the curb and you would just pray that it would correct - which it did. But let me tell you, I missed having 19" or even 18" wheels in the snow. 20" wheels just kind of suck - for a lot of reasons. But they sure do look cool

HTH
Thanks
Only 1 problem
Anyone know which dealer in NY area even had any inventory?
I can't find them
Appreciate 0