Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
If I am going to make the swap - I'm going "all in". . I know the newer M550s are even faster than mine, but I don't think it would be "enough different" for me to justify the change. The power would be improved but I suspect the ride/handling would be similar to my car, which is one of the areas I really want to address.

I am looking at 3-6 months before I do anything - but I am starting my homework now. I'll be able to arrange test drives and figure out what I really want.

I haven't heard anyone who "regretted" changing to an M5…

Thanks to everyone for their input! I appreciate it.
Sounds like your mind is made up, and sounds like you made the choice most are advocating for. The M5 is with out a doubt a completely different car than the 550. No matter what anyone says.

There is differences as well other than just HP and suspension upgrades.
-the steel brakes are a big improvement over 550, and the CCBs on the m5 are an even bigger upgrade than the steel M5 brakes (nevermind the noise, and dust the steel make, as irritating as it is, I would definitely not, not buy an m5 because of it. :-) )
-the seats are a big upgrade, widely recognized as some of the best seats in its class.
-styling, while subjective, is a big upgrade in my opinion as well.
-carbon fiber roof (if you like that)
-wheels (if you can find one with the forged 789m) the 789m wheels in my opinion are some of the best looking stock OEM offerings i've seen in a long time on a sport sedan.
-some would say an upgrade some would say they like the 550 better, but the exhaust note is quite different in the M5, even though they share the 4.4L V8, the m5 has a very different sound than the 550 due to the cross bank turbo manifolds.
-all the little M bits and pieces, like the mirrors, seat belts with M stitching, M5 light up head rests, stuff like that is not super important but definitely add a little coolness factor.
-stiffer chassis in general , not just suspension(springs and dampers). They beefed up nearly everything for the M5.

Theres a handful or other differences besides what I listed, in addition to the added power, and suspension already known.

They share the same basic chassis, and basic motor platform. and thats about it. in my opinion they're 2 completely different cars, and I think you'll be happy with the upgrade.

Im not shocked at all to read this thread and see so many who made the change from 550 to M5, and in a relatively quick time frame it appears. I'm sure this is very common comparison and change. It makes perfect sense on paper, and logically, but reality and emotion get in the way of that. No one needs an m5, 550, or even a 530 for that matter. Do we want M5's??? Ummm, duhhh, throw logic out the window, no one needs what makes sense.

Ill quote Chris Harris from Top Gear when he tested the M5 CS vs the Audi E-tron RS GT.

"if we judged life based on needs vs wants, well, we may as well all live in a cave!"

As I said in a similar thread, i'm an advocate, if you can afford it, buy the top of the line, don't compromise unless you HAVE to. otherwise you'll be back in a short time just upgrading and taking a further bath on your trade in in 8-14 months.
Appreciate 0