View Single Post
      10-17-2020, 06:30 AM   #21
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about—it's almost impossible (closer to impossible than almost) to repair and requires PPF from day one to protect it. If you do try to repair it, very few shops will even take it on. When they do, they make no guarantees and provide only an estimate stating that the price could escalate exponentially. The only solution is to paint match+buff+matching matte wrap to restore uniformity. Hence you might as well get it wrapped since PPF requires same dismantling.

OP: listen to those that have experience with frozen paint—#2 is your only option. I will never get factory frozen paint again (unless I'm prepared to foot the bill to wrap it before I pick it up—that'd have to be some car).

It's 730 in the morning, and i have time for this. Few shops can repair/refinish frozen, yes, but thats why you take it to a proper body shop and not Jose down the street. What shops are you taking a car to where the price keeps going up while its there? I suggest you take wisen up. The solution to matching a matte finish is NOT to buff it. This is how i know you have zero idea what YOU are talking about. You NEVER buff a matte finish under any circumstance. You achieve/match gloss level by mixing the clear a certain way. How do i know this? Because i've painted matte finishes before.

So you can speak from someone who owns one, sure, i can speak to refinishing one. You simply cannot.

So, in closing, i'd get the matte finish from BMW. I have several friends who own matte cars, once you do regular washing and dont let anything sit on the paint (because again, you CANNOT polish matte) you will be fine. I would never buy 100k car and take it to a shop to have have everything torn down and put back together. Thats just me.

The matte just needs an extra level of TLC, if you can handle it, go for it. There is NO substitute for paint.
Appreciate 0