View Single Post
      07-31-2017, 02:01 PM   #21
havinfun
Private
Rep
Drives: m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
I think I've talked about this before on another thread but here is my take. M performance alone was great on startup but after that, it wasn't anything too special. Too quiet for my taste. The Dinan midpipe on stock was quieter than M performance and but the open throttle sound did sound pretty decent but a little "tin canny or raspy." Hard to describe. No drone on either of them. If I had to choose, I'd stick with M performance for sound over Dinan midpipe.

However, with both M performance and Dinan, it is music to my ears. Loud on startup and grumbles like a muscle car when just driving in first gear at the onset. It sounds awesome on open throttle and NO DRONE. I would never go back. It is perfect with both in my opinion. Just a pain in the butt to get them to go on together as the inlet of the dinan and outlet of M performance are the same 3". Damn Dinan for making it hard for us!

Get both!
It seems to me that another alternative is to keep the stock midpipe but do a resonator delete (probably just the front resonator based on feedback in another thread which reported that deleting only the second resonator resulted in no sound improvement but both resonators deleted got similar sound to the Dinan midpipe) and then add on the M performance exhaust to slightly lower the pitch of the exhaust. This method maintains the stock diameter interface to the muffler so the MPE mounts in the standard fashion and avoids the problem of interfacing the MPE to the Dinan midpipe. So far, I don't believe anyone has reported implementing this option.

By the way, one of the videos for the 2018 M240 states that a "new feature" is a resonator delete to improve the exhaust sound (not confirmed by BMW Genius). I will report on that when my 2018 M240 arrives in a few days.
Appreciate 0