View Single Post
      05-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #22
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Yes, sounds like you had a failed experience because you didn't do your homework up front.

I don't have any experience doing this on an E9x platform (or 350z), but on the e30/e36 platform there are several master cylinders that can be interchanged with different piston size. I wasn't suggesting someone bolt up parts and hope it works, I was suggesting someone do their homework, find the caliper piston sizes, master cylinder piston size, brake pad surface area, brake bias, etc and calculate what is needed and find a similar type of caliper that would work. or interchange other components to make it work.

Are you saying that is it not possible to interchange stock parts from another car and not have it work properly just because you failed at it??

There are many examples of this on other platforms and see no reason why someone couldn't make it work on the e9x platform, would you like me to spoon feed you some examples?
I ran 300ZX front brakes on a 240SX before. Complete bolt on for the car. The problem is, you also need to change the master cylinder for a 300ZX one because the piston sizes are way different. Also, you need to change out the rear brakes for 300ZX brakes as well and run a 300ZX brake proportioning valve. All this on a car with no ABS system.

I ran it with just bolt on calipers and it was a death trap to drive. On track, when you hit the brake, only the front brakes work and it works very hard, locking up the front wheels and not much brake fluid gets pushed to the rear causing the rear end to lift and slide out under braking. Pretty dangerous and resulted in me spinning out a few times. After the full 300ZX conversion... which was a pain in the ass to do and quite pricey, the car braked correctly... but a cheap $500 upgrade turned into $3k worth of parts and fabrication. I could have easily just have bought a Brembo or Stoptech brake kit.

On a newer car like the M3 with ABS, you better have a mechanical engineering degree to figure out how to get the brake balance right and some know how to re-tune the ABS system to get it to work correctly. Definitely not an easy bolt-on.