View Single Post
      12-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #1
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

High-end video card shortages

Just curious if any of you gamers have been looking to upgrade your video card and how you might have solved the problem (or not).

I recently upgraded my home built computer with a new ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VIII motherboard and AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-core CPU. I had planned to replace my aging nVidia GTX 1080 video card with an nVidia RTX 3080, but couldn't find one anywhere at a reasonable price, or find one at all. Lately, the RTX 3080's seem to be shipping directly from China and at a very high cost. Also, there is the risk of getting a (very) used one if going that route. So, I passed.

Then yesterday I noticed that Newegg was advertising ASRock Radeon RX6900XT Phantom 16GB video cards, shipped from their own facility. Although I would've preferred the RTX 3080, I decided to go with the AMD Radeon video card. It should arrive today, so after the installation and some game testing (MS FS 2020), I'll report back with my impressions.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0