03-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
Nordkeyz73
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i ZSP, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
This is a topic that I have a lot of curiosity about as well.

As you point out, OP, there is virtually no leaked information about the future of BMW V8's out there. Just rumor. As time passes and we move toward the eDrive generation, my suspicion grows ever more toward the conclusion that N63/S63 (or some very closely related variants) will hold the torch until the bitter end, and the V8 will disappear from BMW portfolio sometime in the next couple decades or so (just my SWAG on the timing).

If you look at the diesel side of things, BMW got rid of the V8 long ago and instead decided to focus on the state of the art 125hp/L N57S. That was years ago, and only just now, with the 4.0L diesel V8 in the SQ7 are they being outclassed. But, I suspect a future B57-based diesel engine will eclipse 400hp. One thing we know they will not do is reintroduce a diesel V8. They may very well do an eDrive diesel at some point though.

Back to the gasoline side, BMW has said years ago they are targeting as much as 200hp/L from the B* family. And once you add in eDrive, the sky is the limit really. The need to have a V8 in order to make 500hp+ will diminish soon and likely disappear by sometime mid next decade (the M4 GTS already hits 500hp with its non-B58 based S55, though it uses water injection to do so).

Competitors, such as Mercedes, are slowly abandoning V8 engines in non-AMG-proper vehicles. Notably the E class no longer has a non-AMG V8 model, and the new W213 almost certainly will not either. Instead it will get the new M256 I6 soon. Note that Mercedes has a non-AMG version of the 4.0L V8 (called the M176) that they could be using here like the do in the G-Wagen. But they have opted not to, and they also have not replaced the 4.7L V8 in the S-Class and SL-Class with this V8 either, though they may still yet make that move in time. But it would be a brief stop-gap IMHO. The I6 is their next big move.

Cadillac and Lexus don't offer V8s in this class either (the former never has), aside from the ones under their high-performance labels.

Soon, we'll likely see BMW replace its first V8 *50i model with a *50e iPerformance model using the I6 + electric motor combination. I think this will occur during the G generation of cars. Once one goes, its just a matter of time. The last one to go will be the S63 from M vehicles - give that at least one more generation, maybe two.

That's my analysis.
This is my opinion exactly. Mercedes not replacing the 4.7 in addition to developing a new I6 points to the end of the line. The new E43 AMG is a 6 cylinder. Audi is now going to have a turbo 6 in the R8 according to the latest. Really hoping the N63/S63 is not the end of the line.

On a side note, V8s are not inherently less efficient. Should an auto maker decide to make a very small turbo V8, you'd get efficiency and the torquey punch they're known for (think Ferrari F40). I do however acknowledge the future of electricity, hoping BMW can implement it to the best of its capability.