04-18-2024, 10:56 AM   #7863
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
Why spend that money when hybrid are banned right along with pure ICE? Toyota is basically praying that sanity returns to the room, big bet.
In the weeds, but it's just Cali that has a limitation on how many percent of sales a ICE-Hybrid can be used to meet the Zero-Emissions mandate (by 2035). It's just 20%. The other 19 or so states that adopted Cali's CARB standards can choose whether or not to continue to be a CARB-Regulated state. Hopefully the other states citizens will begin to pay attention to what their Lawmakers are doing to their transportation choices and push back on CARB mandates.

Perhaps the pending EPA emissions regs proposed by the current administration will drive development of cleaner, more efficient ICE to power a true series hybrid. It won't happen in my driving lifetime, but I'd happily give up my manual transmission fettish for a true (pure) serial hybrid. I love the EV drivetrain from an engeering and energy usage perspective, I just think carrying around a huge, slow charging, heavy battery to power it is stupid.
Appreciate 2