smq42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_zito View Post
I am considering purchasing a new Boxster S and would iike to receive comments and thoughts about it, given the fact that I already own a 1M.

What can I expect different? Are they VERY different?
PROS/CONS?
Has anyone driven extensively both cars?
Yes, and yes they are very different cars.

The Boxster S/ Cayman S/ Coxster feels slower that it is, underpowered. It's precise and efficient, massively composed in nearly all situations. It's an easy car to drive fast- you need to be either hugely aggressive or ham-fisted to get it out of shape, and it's easy to gather up once you do. Thrills come from the immediacy, precision, from dissecting a road and carrying pace. No chance a 1M could hang with an equally driven Coxster S down a bumpy back road.

The 1M is entirely different. It feels quicker than it is, overpowered. It's harder to drive quickly, and is often out of shape when you're pushing. It loves to go sideways. The two cars are nearly equally fast at the autocross, but I enjoy the 1M far more. Thrills come from the power, and from taming the beast. On the road I personally enjoy the 1M more 90% of the time, though on some roads it gets too out of shape and the Coxster is the superior experience.

I still prefer the 911's handling to the Coxster, though it depends how hard you're pushing. The newer 911s (especially 991) turn in nearly as well, but the Coxster feels (and is) smaller and transitions in a way they can't match. It's Achilles heel, however, is that it doesn't like to slide. When the back end lets go it pops sideways in an inefficient and pace robbing flare of wheelspin that requires instant correction. The 911, on the other hand, begs you to settle into a delicious slightly tail out drift with the hammer down under the same circumstances, catapulting you out of the corner. This additional chassis adjustability takes some time to access and master, but it's utterly addictive and for me easily breaks the tie between two great handling cars.
This!

Though I'm about a 100 years behind Pete in my driving skills, I have driven both a Cayman S and a 991 on a track. The Cayman S was lovely but lacked the thrills and excitement that my 1M provides in abundance. The 991 though blew my mind!! One controlled slide and corner under power and I was hooked for life! There's something truly magical about controlling that pendulous weight hanging off the back and using it to help you power through a corner (until it doesn't!).

If you already have a 1M and you're considering a P-car, I'd recommend a 911 (air cooled or not) rather than a Cayman/Boxter.
?13 E70 X5
Appreciate 0