04-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by In4mation View Post
Anyone have experience with the M performance brakes making a constant fluttering/ticking noise while driving ?

The car is a 2013 335i msport with upgraded M performance brakes and there's a faint fluttering/ticking noise that comes from the drivers front wheel well. The noise can only be heard with the windows down and starts around 25 mph and is really loud when driven next to large road dividers and walls.

I tried to search for similar problems or solutions to no avail. Any help or suggestions would be gladly appreciated.
Yes, mine have made the slight "ticking" sound from all four corners from day one after the M Perf brakes were installed at the VPC (~8,5xx miles) I didn't experience it when the original brakes were on the car during my ED trip in Germany. I hear it very faintly as I'm driving at speed, and then it's a touch louder when applying the brakes. (I don't hear the sound at all at slow parking lot speeds) Almost sounds like the dimples on the rotors make the sound as the pads run over them. I asked the dealer about it when the car was in for a subsequent service appointment, they said everything was in spec and the sound is normal. It bothered me at first, but I don't notice much anymore, unless I happen to be driving past a highly reflective surface (like a concrete tall barrier or retaining wall), with the windows down, and at a speed where the sound isn't drowned out by road, exhaust, and/or wind noise.

With my SA telling me it is normal, and the fact that it comes from all four corners (not just one or two) it seems like it's probably OK, but I do think it's a bit weird that you are the only other person on the forum who has mentioned it. It's faint enough that possibly others just don't notice the sound or haven't paid close enough attention??
Appreciate 2
Fitis4.50