View Single Post
      02-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Ok so not sure where else to ask but you guys are always doing home renovations and what not so one of you probably know.

Backstory: So when I bought my house it has a big hottub in the screened in patio. That huttub ran on 220v. There is a 50 amp breaker in the main fuse box for the hottub, however there is also another box in the patio with another 50 amp breaker (which I believe is GFCI) and some big pull out fuse or something before the outside box that kills power to that. Ok so at some point we removed the hottub from the patio and put it outside in the yard. Ran the cable from the patio box underground to the area where the hottub is now. Anyways we now go rid of that tub and I have a ghetto inflatable one which runs on 110v. I would like to convert that 220v to a 110v outlet.

Here is my understanding of what I have to do. Replace the 50 amp breaker with a smaller breaker 15-20amp and I believe I only use 3 of the 4 wires to bring it down to 110v. Some things I'm unsure of are.

- Do I need to replace the breaker in both the patio and main panels or just patio?

- I would like the option of going back to 220v if needed in the future so do I just cap off the extra cable?

- Would the new breaker need to be GFCI or just the new 110 outlet I install.

Anyways I've done basic electrical stuff like replacing outlets, installing fans etc. However it's mainly just replacing stuff so its much easier when I'm just matching the old stuff to the new.
youre exterior breaker is the safety disconnect which is required by code for 220v direct wired equipment.

You can install a 110v breaker in your main panel, and put a gfci receptacle in your existing outside box. Or you can put 110v breakers in both the main panel and the exterior box and install a new outlet.

Another thing that you should do is figure out your load and distance and make sure your current wiring is adequate.

Are you getting it inspected? or just doing it? you can just cap the wire at both ends if the latter.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0