View Single Post
      01-29-2019, 07:11 AM   #70
de Witt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5s & 06 E91 325xiA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Dude I also encounter similar shifting issue. The resistance I understand. But shifting 1st to 2nd make this weird winding noise, no grinding. If I wait in neutral for 1 seconds before completing the shift it shift normal that I am not worried.

But we just hit our firsts -20c of the year and my first winter with this car and my tranny started doing a new noise. It literally has a metal cracking when shifting and goes away after 5 mins of driving.

I aswell hope our transmissions don't die early. I replaced the fluid with OE spec maybe I should have listened to the threads and get the Redline D6 ATF stuff... IDK.

I think I'll just let it go and see how it goes.

Here's the noise

IIRC that is a Getrag in the 335is. In my experience, Getrags are very stiff when cold and produce rattling/whine with some clicking noise when engaging the clutch; your location in Canada only compounds the problem. If the Getrag in your 335is is anything like the G280/5.50 and 5.51 in my E28 and E34, they are very finnicky with fluid selection, so if informed/experienced individuals are getting better results with Redline D6 ATF, it could be worth it. There will be noise and stiffness, but it might shorten the duration and severity of both.

As for the threat question, on cold starts I crank the engine, let the rpms drop to the set idle speed (about 5-15 seconds depending on ambient temps) and then drive off. I want the transmission to get up to temps along with the engine and differential before proceeding to hit higher rpms.
Appreciate 0