Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
That's what M2 project manager Frank Isenberg said in the CAR interview:
"That chunkier [M2] body – 55mm wider front, 80mm rear – is essential to cover a wider track courtesy of M4 forged aluminium suspension components. «The track is the same, but the M4 tyres wouldn’t fit, so the tyres are 10mm narrower,» says Isenberg. The Michelin Pilot Super Sports measure 245/35 ZR19 front, 265/35 ZR19 rear."
Yeah I remember that statement. But it doesn't make sense. If the parts are the same there's absolutely no reason that the tires couldn't fit, unless it has to do with EU regulations for puddle splashing or performance number (skid pad).

Since everybody seems to only care about acceleration numbers, we all know that both F80/2 and the F87 are more limited by traction than they are for power. I think if the M2 had the same 275 section width in the rear as the F80/2 it would have come far too close in 0-60 or 0-100 whatever you decide to use as the number. It already is too close, and 20mm more rubber out back will make a difference. I don't know the exact number, but it would put it too close.

As for skid pad, braking and slalom numbers, I bet the only one that the M2 won't beat would be braking. The longer wheelbase of the F80/2 will probably make it more stable in the corners, but with the same weight and tire size, the F87 sure will change direction faster because of the shorter wheelbase. The longer wheelbase may help the larger cars stop faster because of the extra pressure the rear end will have, or it may not help.

I'm also not sure if the launch control computer will compensate for added traction of the tire, although it should since it would be using wheel speed sensors. Therefore, those with a DCT may meet the F80/2 accel times by just changing to a 295 tire. The manual is a bit of a different story, that's more driver dependant, but with a larger tire, the time may also be met.

That, I believe is the real reason the tire sizes were narrowed, not because of clearance to the suspension. It boils down to splash regulations, maybe the fenders don't stick out far enough for the wider tires, or that the performance would be too closely matched.

Just my $0.02 (which is almost nothing because of the Canadian dollar)
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0