03-18-2024, 05:34 PM   #11
gioM5-Comp
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
Right, it probably just flowed around the tank because it "sticks" to the lip. I flushed the mess with distilled water (mainly to clean the injectors just in case) and cleaned every spot I could find. Then I went back after it dried and cleaned some more (because as soon as you get the white wet it disappears even though you maybe didn't wipe it all off). It took a few more cleanings before I stopped spotting new spots (different lighting, angle, etc).

By car of this caliber I assume you mean "German Engineering" which really means "overly complex and elegant solutions to questions nobody asked".

Don't get me wrong, I love this car and it is my favorite. But sometimes the Germans just make stuff complicated that doesn't need to be. And seriously, how hard is it to make a robust cooling system? They have only been used on engines for over a century.
I’ve owned proper M cars in the past ( E36 & E46 M3’s ) but never a 4.4ltr V8. The M5 Competition is on a totally different level compared to those cars and like you, it’s probably my favourite car to date that I’ve owned, albeit excluding this specific issue. I get the idea of having that channel on the tank to vent any excess coolant but surely they could of designed a channel that would vent any excess coolant away from any critical parts by simply having some kind of hose attached which could have easily been routed down and away, where it would cause the least harm.

Before I left work, I quickly unscrewed the cap and the threads were completely caked in dry white coolant. Also, despite what’s already been vented from the tank, when I shone some light down the tank to look at the level, it was clearly still showing a coolant level a few mm above the MAX level. Obviously it seems to hard for the BMW technicians to fill the tank with the correct amount of fluid….!!

I would still like my dealership to have a look at it and to that end I rang them up 5 times throughout the day and 5 times, whoever I needed to speak to wasn’t available but was promised a call back, which never happened. Typical BMW customer service then…!!
Honestly, I feel I’ve probably learnt more off you and everyone else that have replied here about the tank issue, than any of the so called BMW tech geniuses….!!
Appreciate 0