View Single Post
      12-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #16
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaury23 View Post
I'm looking to add a sports car but would like to stay in the 150k range. I'm not really a track guy, but I do enjoy the occasional drag strip or mountain run. Below are the ones I'm considering. Any reasons to consider a particular one or other suggestions? My current F90 is tuned and having exhaust and intake installed in the coming weeks, so it would be weird for my daily to be faster than my weekend car and that's the dilemma I'm in.

1. 991.1 Porsche TTS
2. 991.1 Porsche GT3
3. 2016/17 McLaren 570s
4. 2017 Audi R8
5. 2017 Acura NSX
Ive owned or own 4 of the 5 (no Mac)...

So I can speak to the list via my personal experiences pushing the cars in the twists and straights but basically I drive them more as GT cars than track cars.

1. 991.1 TTS- great all rounder- the launcher, the quarter miler, the handler with decent interior. Not as fast a .2 but easily modded with a Cobb handheld and exhaust to get 130 trapper. Pretty sterile in its looks (where I live) because there are quite a few but even then I still always rubber neck when I see a widebody with 305's cruising. I had two of these cars and miss both to this day.

2. 991.1 GT3- great track car than can be street'd. The car is not for everyone as the tq doesnt come on early and the sweet spot of the car is 6k to 9k rpms (amazing lemans sounds though) so if you are just going to do some street driving and expressway crushing its not the most ideal. Its got a sense of appeal and involvement that the Turbo S will never deliver though. Just that in itself is a reason to get one. I miss this car so much Id consider another one even though its long in the tooth and the .2 is so nice but pricey.

3. Never owned the Mac- had many friends who did (none still have the car). Its a junior 720s but the car has a lot of initial probs and almost every one I know had to put the car in the shop. The depreciation (if that is meaningful to you) is incredible so a 2nd owner will get a steal. Just get a factory vehicle service contract if you get this car.

4. I still have this car (R8) its a non plus but tuned to the plus levels since the only difference between the two power wise is via electronics. But the non plus gets the magnetorheological dampers which makes this car so compliant at speed over the worst of roads. The V10 song is brilliant and an exhaust clearly makes it the best sounding of the lot here (slightly better than my modded GT3 pipes). Its a high 120 or even 130 trap car and grip is intense along with vastly improved quattro understeer. I think this is a great option for you since have a modded Turbo car (M5). Slap an exhaust on it, tune it, and drive into the sunset. The sound alone has me still loving it 20 months later.

5. NSX- ok ok so I just got this car. Its a brilliant looking car and drives incredibly well around the streets up to about 130. Its like a baby wanna be tesla with the 3 electric motors totaling about 80 hp and the 3.5 V6 gives it 500 more. The response on this car is amazing around town, going into turns, exiting, and from a dig. The key here is the electric motors which give the immediate response via tq and then the motor takes over. As the speeds draw past 120 the electrics stop and you can tell there is a just a hint of power loss. I am having a tune installed on mine with HFC's that will make it sound better. The tune will get me around 80 awhp/80 awtq so those gains are meaningful. The stock exhaust is fine cause its straight thru and thru in sport plus or track mode but the hfc's are so restrictive at 600 cells that the sound is pretty weak. I have gone with Fi's 100 cell and that will really open up the car. The interior is mundane with some dated technology at the infotainment level but thats fine as the car is for driving. The dual clutch works well with the ECU/TCU to keep the car in the right gear during drive mode manuevring. Its a fun car and the looks to me are great. Its just different than what we all see on the street and it handles really good for 3800 lbs (has mag ride too). You can steal these too right now even brand new.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
BB TX50.50
soooma1377.50