01-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Gents:

So I received two pieces of good news -- that my wife's pregnant with our first child, and that I am going to be the Director of Operations (the #2 man in the squadron) on a combat flying deployment.
With this comes some bad news... I leave the country about 3 weeks before my kid is born this summer, and the second, I will be giving my M5 back to BMW (not worth paying on a lease for 6-9 months, and under service member relief act, there is no penalty to me)

Because of the pace of lifestyle and work upcoming, I need to start planning for what car I want to replace the M5 with now. I am looking to pickup in January 2015, and wanted to get opinions from you all on what course of action to take.

Some of my considerations:
1.) Really want to do ED, no matter what brand/car I go with... good vacation opportunity with the wife once I get back home.
2.) Budget is $120k or less
3.) Not too excited about putting a car seat or child in an M5 or equivalent car... I'm way too OCD about cleaning my cars... though I suspect I will just have to get over this in a lot of areas now, not just my cars.
4.) My garage is going down to my wife's '13 335ix (will be replaced in '16 or '17 with a x5 or 3-series wagon), my BMW motorcycle, my Ram quad cab truck (needed for weather and to pull my 8x14 enclosed trailer -- could be replaced by X5 if they ever get a solid towing package)
5.) So, I will add one additional vehicle that will be my DD, fun car, luxury car all in one. I'm not opposed to a coupe, but prefer sedans.

The car I really want is an F11 M5 (an M5 wagon)... but BMW does not make this like they did with the E60.

The second car I would want is a F11 M550dx.. but BMW does not import this to the states (if they did I would definitely go stage 5 and smoke all of you at the drag strip)

The third choice of car? well this is where i get conflicted... Do I go look at other brands since I am very much interested in a very high performance wagon, or do I look elsewhere?

This weekend, I did go out and test drive a MB E63S AMG Wagon... it had 7 miles on it and was like 1 of 15 in the country right now... my wife and I both found it powerful, but disappointing in most other aspects.

So now I sit wondering which direction to go... pretty much anything is on the table... staying with an M5 would let me get the full experience of a car I'm not even going to get a year out of... New M3 or a Vette? Both seem cool and could save some bucks, but I think I would miss some luxury and I like the wider cockpit of the 5. New P-car? probably can't afford the one I want right now... and I already prefer driving the M5 over porsche (though I have no 2013/14 model year time).

Right now, I am tending toward another M5, but going the full individual route to make it unique to me and having it for long term ownership...

What are your thoughts?
Hey CONGRATULATIONS! Having a child is the GREATEST thing in the entire world hands down! I have a 9 yr old boy and a 16 mo. old boy. You're going to discover what TRUE love is my friend. Will even bring you and your wife closer together.

And THANK YOU and GOD BLESS YOU for your service. We take what you guys do for us for granted all too often. Without you we wouldn't have the luxuries that we do today and none of us would be talking about what sweet rides we have. Sure wish the White House and Congress spent more time focusing on "cheering on" our heros instead of fighting over the dumb stuff.

And you know my suggestion on the car I am sure...

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic

Last edited by ColdList; 01-15-2014 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0