03-30-2022, 04:24 PM   #56
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
This^^^^^^^^^

It's funny, but tragically so, how this topic gets done to death on these forums. I am firmly in the camp that says BS to the "this is how they're supposed to be, ya noob" crowd.

I had an F10 550 and a G30 M550. Both 4,000+ lb cars, both AWD, both with V-8s. Both went over 30,000 miles. Neither squealed - ever. I was shocked at how noisy my 2019 Base got when coming to a stop. What makes the physics of this car so different? A few times, just for fun, I did the "stop at the last second" way of driving, so each stop was a firm push on the brakes. People freak out when you approach a red light at 35 mph and then decide to stop - all in the last 8 feet. Pedestrians especially. My LCI Comp eventually got noisy, too. Just not as bad - but still equally irritating for a 130k car.

And tracking this car.....how many people actually do it? 1 in 100? If so, if the "one" runs 100 miles in a year on a track and everyone averages 12,000 miles a year, then total track time is 100/1,200,000 miles - or 8 thousandths of 1 per cent - 0.0083%. Hardly seems BMW would eff it up for the rest of the masses "because that's they way they're supposed to be driven." Pure and simple, they could have done this better. Metallurgy has really come a long way in the last 1000 years.

That being said, its still a truly awesome car. Annoying, but awesome. I am still planning on trying to get a 3rd one before the F90 production run ends, or probably an M8, since it will most likely go a year beyond the F90. I don't like the noise, but I can live with it. I just try to look straight ahead as I slowly roll to a shrieking stop at an intersection in the summer, next to a Honda Accord with the windows down. But, man, I can sure kick his ass when we go green.
I mean you're comparing a 550 to an m car not really much of a comparison lol... the brakes are totally different in those cars compared to m cars

I never track my cars never have never will, I always rent something or go to events where they provide cars for the enormous entry fee.

Your right metallurgy has come a long way... but look at things my way... the 550s don't squeak right? So obviously bmw is capable of making a commuter sedan with non squeeky brakes, what makes you think they couldn't do the same for the m5? Unless that somehow detracted from the performance of said brakes which I can't prove but it's my theory. I mean you really only have front brakes on an m5 anyway, so they gotta make sure those front brakes work at 120%. (Rear brakes are single piston floating aka won't do shit to stop the car)
Appreciate 0