Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
is that a problem for your 130k car? No, that's how they're DESIGNED!
I’ll add, yes it is a problem. One big enough to be a constant topic on this forum. The f10 forum and likely others. The only more common thread I see is “should i tune my f90 and will my tune void my warranty” LOL.

So, since you’re apparently an M, or AMG engineer, and since the brake squeal was part of the design, as you say.

What’s the purpose of the squeal? I mean a lot of cars still have tabs on the pads to let people know when the pads are almost up. That’s a design, to let people know their brakes are near metal on metal. That squealing is actually by design. Lol.

Is it to let people know the brakes are not hot enough? Or their too hot? Or too cold? Is it just to let you know you still have plenty of brake life left? Kinda the opposite of the tabs that squeal when almost gone. So do they stop squealing when it’s time to replace? Is that how we know we need brakes. Nevermind the brakelife sensors. Unless it’s the sensors that alert us once it notices the brakes are no longer squealing?

Legitimately tell me since the brakes are designed to squeal, what is the performance metric or attribute that having the squeal affects? Is the squeal an ultra high vibration noise that fends off AMGs? Like a dog whistle ? Can you enlighten me as to why bmw’s M division would waste time designing a brake that squeals? I have to imagine most performance divisions are there to put the best performance they can into their cars (and stay on brand, budget etc) , why would they build a squeak into the brakes? Nearly everything on a car is designed for a reason. Same with even race cars. Everything has a purpose, from the color to the exhaust sound, everything has its purpose. Why? Because it has to. So something like the brake squeal, if it wasn’t actually designed with the squeal purposely there can only be a design FLAW. It just happens to be a design flaw bmw has convinced people like Yourself is just the way it is. That’s not how companies like bmw work. Nothing is just how it is. Everything is measured checked designed tested everything has a purpose and reason. They just chose to tell us, “deal with it” because the solution to actually fix it, likely would cost them way too much $. Or they take the gamble enough people will just deal with it. And not cost them money. Hell I’ll even bet bmw has hired 3rd party consultants to measure the affect on bottom line to decide “should we fixed the brake squeak or tell people to pound sand? Fixing will cost us likely $XYZ millions, doing nothing will cost $X millions, ok decision made, tell them to F off when they come ask about brake squeak”

Lastly, you first said they squeal because not driving hard enough. Which you are, obviously!… but then later you say they’re designed this way with the squeak. But , like I mentioned, you said yours don’t squeal. (then you said they did), but the ones that don’t squeal (since it’s designed to do this) maybe there’s actually something wrong with yours? Have you had yours checked out on your f9….Nevermind.

Just trying to keep up with you and get my information right.

Last edited by jnotrom711; 03-30-2022 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 0