View Single Post
      01-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #63
NOITALL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcrunch View Post
I'm ordering a 340i rwd and was impressed by the video where the 340xi accelerated 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. This made me consider ordering x-drive, but honestly would only want it for the increased acceleration time. Per BMW, the difference in 0-60 is .2 seconds between the rwd and x-drive version, where the x-drive is .2 seconds faster.

I have a dedicated winter set which has performed extremely well on my e90 335d. So is x-drive worth it for quickiest 0-60 times plus added traction in poor weather? Not sure, to be honest. It costs $2000 more, requires extra diff service and has "worse driving dynamics" than rwd. But with my order of the m adaptive suspension, maybe the x-drive will handle like rwd. Still, $2000 for .2 seconds 0-60, whats the ROI on that?
It depends on what you want for PERFORMANCE. The difference of 0.2 second is on a dry hot pavement.

On a snow/ice covered pavement or very slick winter asphalt, the difference will be more like 5 seconds...

That said: RWD for the win. I don't care if the guy beside me launches faster. There will always be someone faster. They won't have as much fun and pleasure as me.

Cheers
Appreciate 0