04-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #18
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
The cdv wont wear anything down. Its just a little piece of plastic that inhibits the flow of fluid. The wearing of the clutch is your own doing. It should consistantly stay crispy. Clutches, like brakes, need to break in over time. I only have 500 miles on my car now and can see how its gotten better even over the few weeks Ive owned it. No doubt it will get nicer over time.
Exactly ... all the CDV does is to slow down the re-engagement of the clutch at the very last moment. In simple terms it just stops the clutch plates slapping together which would damage the drivetrain on a powerful car.

The CDV will not burn out the clutch.

The stiffness being talked about here is felt through the gear lever when trying to push past the 'gate' (synchros) into the fully engaged position. This cannot be anything to do with the CDV as the clutch plates are disengaged when this resistance is felt.

My experience is that you need to be quite forceful with the controls on new BMW's until they 'bed in'. This definitely applies to the gearbox, which should feel much better after a few thousand miles of vigourous use.

If you do a lot of highway miles, without regularly moving up and down the gears this will take longer.

2nd gear required reasonable strength to engage in my car from new and it probably took around 6000 miles to really sweeten up.

I can engage all the gears now with minimal fingertip pressure.
Appreciate 0