View Single Post
      11-05-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I would think that your first question "wouldn't the pedal sit higher" would be a no. I think that the pedal returns to it's same height regardless of the pedal. But if the pads sit farther away from the rotor surface, that would result in a longer pedal stroke, hence the pedal ending lower than the accelerator in it's stroke.

I too agree that any variations in the pad surface should wear quickly, and the pad would then conform to the rotor's face. But when the pads were brand new, I had the same problem for 8 - 25minute track sessions and the problem never resolved itself.

What I've heard is that the pad itself will deflect. What I'm guessing is that the pad material is so strong that the two ends that are catching on the high spots are hanging there, but the piston is causing the center of the pad to deflect until it hits the rotors surface. This would be like standing in the middle of a 2x4 that is propped by it's ends on two bricks. If this is the case, then the pad would return to it's un-deflected state and keep the large gap between the rotor's face and the pad.

As far as equally effective. I don't know about that. I mean, from low speeds, I can engage ABS, but during those 8 track sessions, I never once got ABS to kick in. And seeing it was my first track session ever, braking out of the straightaway was scary as hell. I was scrubbing speed from 130 to about 60 in the brake zone, but my pedal was burried and I felt like I couldn't get more braking with more pressure.

I've never heard about the master cyinder having different stages. I wouldn't even know how that could be. Isn't it just another piston and cylinder design? To get staging, would that not assume a change in either the ration of the piston's travel in comparison to the pedal movement, or a change in the ration of fluid moved by the piston?
Appreciate 0