11-03-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Long pedal travel

Hi all,

I did my first HPDE at the beginning of the summer. I used Porterfields pads all around.
I was at Thunderbolt at NJMP and entering turn 1, my pedal would be well below the level of the accelerator. This made it terribly difficult to heel toe. So after some thought, I figured I must have boiled my fluid.
I'm getting Castrol SRF put in on friday, before I go to Sat's event at NJMP.

But yesterday, I swapped out from the stock pads to the porterfields. I noticed tonight, that I'm again well below the level of the accelerator, and in fact, it feels like the pedal is hitting a some sort of a "stop". I press harder, and the pedal is stuck (won't go further), but it was relatively easy to get to this "stop".
I never had this issue with stock pads. The pedal is really firm, way up high on the travel and Heel toe is really easy. In some 15-0 stops, I'm getting ABS to kick on, but I'm still really low on the travel.

Could this be a pad problem? Do Porterfields compress a lot? Could I have messed something up in the master cylinder when I used a C clamp to compress the piston in the caliper?

Thanks for the advice. As an aside, I left DSC on during the event as it was my first time, And then I left it on because I couldn't heel toe with such a low pedal. I'm hoping not to let the computer drive for me, so I'm willing to take it off on the track, but I don't understand if that would explain why tonight, the pedal goes so low after some street driving
Appreciate 0