04-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
Valentine V1 "Hardwire" DIY with remote display and SAVVY

So, it's not a true hard-wire b/c I didn't wire it in - instead, the V1 get's it's power off the OBDII port using the Savvy module. This module transmits speed from the OBDII port to the V1 and auto-mutes warnings under a pre-set speed (that you set). I also have the remote display for the V1, and that's really what I wanted to show here.

First goal - find a place for the V1 where it was level and could see out the front and back (for laser). Also I didn't want to mount it to the windshield so people standing outside the car wouldn't see it (cops, thieves etc). I chose hanging it off the visor. It's far enough back that you really have to make an effort to see it through the window

To facilitate it being level, I put a number of layers of 3m double sided tape to the top of the bracket to hold the visor down just a tad, and ran the cable across the back of the visor to the pivot point

From there I ran the cable behind the weatherstripping on the door (just pulled it back a little and stuffed the cable in) then popped the little plastic piece off the door jamb and was able to get all the way down to a whole next to the obdII port. There I plugged in the Savvy, stuffed the little dongle up into the opening and was good to go.

Problem was, the display on the V1 was too far back to easily see without really taking my eyes off the road - in comes the remote display

I chose to mount the remote display left of the instrument cluster behind my registration and inspection stickers - but I didn't want to stick anything to my car. I decided to fab up a quick bracket that would slip between the trim pieces and hold the display down.

I started with some 0.025 aluminum sheeting, cut a 3/4" strip off it then filed and sanded it down to take the sharp edges off.

The plan was to bend an angle into it and cut that off so I could slip it down between the a-pillar and the dash - creating the angle

Ready for testing

Test fit

Now to make it black like the dash

All done - way better having the display out there. I don't need to take my eyes off the road to see where the warnings are coming from

No permanent mods to the car and everything is concealed and firmly in place - side note, the Savvy is neat - really nice when driving around here <45 mph not having to mute all the grocery stores and gas station false alarms
Appreciate 0