View Single Post
      03-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Any thoughts on the M2 vs M235i on power?

Obviously people have been talking about the M235i for a while. However, I was a little disappointed today:

My BMW dealer gave me a loaner M235i to tool around in while my 228i is in the shop. When I ordered my 228i, I did not test drive the M235i at all. The cars were just getting to dealerships, so all I tested was the 228i -- and, indeed, that was all I wanted at the time.

I have mentioned elsewhere on this forum, that I'm planning an ED trip next year, and I have a deposit down on a MY2018 M2.

Well, while driving the M235i today I was a little underwhelmed.* The thing has 80 more HP than my 228i, which doesn't feel as earth-shattering as I had expected. It's obviously quicker. And it sounds MUCH better. But it wasn't the night & day difference I had been expecting. I dropped off a relatively quick car this morning, and it feels like I got into a somewhat quicker car.

So, the M2 has about 45hp more than the M235i and it will have the DCT. It'll be ever-so-slightly lighter. Stiffer. I don't know what to expect, I guess. Appreciate any thoughts.

____

* the active suspension is very soft in comfort. Honestly, it's actually pretty comfortable, lol. I had forgotten the car even had active damping until I started wondering about why it was so much softer than my 228i with M Sport Suspension. In sport mode it is a little stiffer, although I actually don't think it's any stiffer than old-fashioned M Sport Suspension. Purely subjective. The car sounds awesome though. That is the one thing that, today, got me really excited for the M2; because if the M235i sounds this much better, and we know the M2 sounds even better... it's going to be great.

One other weird thing I noticed: the M235i's door sill actually says ///M 235i. Yet, the M2 is just going to say ///M instead of ///M2 ... seems kind of lame. Minor, but there it is. <shrug>

_____
Edit:
Pics for clicks.

Last edited by hoyasaxa; 03-08-2016 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0