Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
At what point will these cars stop getting larger and more powerful? How usable is 600 hp power on a daily basis? Are they actually engaging to drive or just big executive cars that feel like a 530 when you're not accelerating hard?

I miss the E39 and E60.
What would you suggest they do? Make a smaller and lighter car with less power? Oh wait that's right, that's what the M3 is for. They will continue to make the cars heavier and with more power because the competition is doing the same and because people are willing to pay out big money for it.

The future doesn't look great for lighter cars either because with electric cars comes heavy batteries. Bottom line though people will pay big money for those heavy vehicles also.
I believe the beauty of M cars of yesteryear was the balance and prowess of their performance and driving dynamics. 30 years ago, an E34 M5 took 6 seconds flat to reach 60MPH and the engine made 311HP. It was considered the fastest best driving sedan in the world in the early 1990s.

I get the business rationale behind the present day horsepower wars but don't understand the need or the logic. A car that is insanely fast and powerful and can not be enjoyed in countries littered with speed cams, cops and decaying roads.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0