09-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINISI View Post
I have a hard time spending 85k for something that has an iPad stuck to the dash. It’s the same reason why I wouldn’t consider an Audi.

I'm an "AMG guy" who keeps my door open every time I fire up my E63, just so I can hear that V8 symphony. I can go from 80 to 130mph faster than most cars go from 0-60. Have driven Mercedes since 1998.

So when time came to buy wife's daily driver, started the journey looking at GLC/GLE. Drove beautifully. FIRST thing my wife, who I'd normally not expect to care about such things, complained about? "That display... it looks like they glued on iPad to the dash."

It seriously does look like the interior designers said: "Oh, s***! We forgot about a display. Let's just plop one here on the top of the stack."

The next gen GLE addresses this by fully integrating two side-by-side 11.9" panels. But honestly? The little I've used iDrive, it seems superior to the MB COMMAND user experience. Their new MBUX infotainment system is forthcoming.

And while my AMG was in recently for annual maintenance, I was given a brand new '19 C300 as a loaner. The cheap feel of the switches -- and the iPad glued to the dash -- drove me bonkers. Very, very disappointing.

I remain passionately in love with my AMG. Nice driving to car shows with my F1 buddies who drive (sweet) Ferraris and Porsches and having them concede mine is the more powerful car. And my MY14 cabin, including the display, is wonderful.

But gotta say... I'm going out of my mind with anticipation, waiting for our week 40 G05 to arrive. I've joined BMWCCA, getting up to speed on coding, and just generally can't wait. Not convinced BMW "M" will ever overtake AMG in my book, but below the high-performance trims... feeling like we are becoming a BMW family.