View Single Post
      12-11-2018, 01:38 AM   #108
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Indeed. I've written a number of words on the evolution of BMW's modern V8 over the years.

The motivation to replace it would be to benefit from the smaller packaging and commonality with their inline engines, similar to how Mercedes has and Audi had (VAG has now switched from the Audi V8 to the Porsche V8). If we were looking at a bright future for ICE with unbounded lifespan, they might be interested in taking advantage of these things. But in today's climate, with what they know is coming, there is more pressing technology to invest in.
Agreed. I personally would like to see a clean sheet V8 at some stage but I suspect the N63/S63 will be the last of the line and probably the same with the N74.

I do believe that the S63Tu performs well enough though for the moment and as we don't really need more power it will probably hang around for a while

The only real hope I have is around the rumours of Jag and McLaren adopting BMW V8s, this means either a clean sheet design or fairly large update to the current platform.