View Single Post
      08-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #1
Docflyer
Rep
Drives: M5 2019

Frustrations of the Flat Tire

Well it finally happened. Left rear tire went flat. Luckily I made it to my garage before it went completely flat and ruined a rim. Of course these cars come with no spare. There is a sealant and a pump in the trunk you can use if needed. I called the dealership and BMW roadside assistance. They did not recommend using the sealant with non run-flats. Not sure why??

Road side assistance sent a flat bed tow truck and they delivered my car to the dealership. The dealership calls me a says that "We don't fix flats for liability reasons and we will replace you're Pirelli tire. Unfortunately we don't have one in stock." Ugh... It takes 4 days to have one at the dealership. Luckily I do have a car to drive in the meantime and luckily I had purchased the tire/wheel coverage. I'm happy that this will cost no money but a little irritated my car is out of commission for 4 days for a simple flat. I've never had a flat inconvenience me for more than an hour in the last 30 years. It could be really a problem if you were driving out in the middle of nowhere..

My questions are:
1) Why does BMW not include a spare of some type?
Is it because they want to reduce weight in a high performance car?
Is it to reduce expense?
Is it to conserve trunk space?

2) Have any of you guys purchased the space saver spare available
from here? Fairly expensive.

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...F90M5-KIT.html

3) Would you have any hesitation in sealing the tire and just taking it to a local tire shop to repair? If I didn't have the wheel/tire coverage I would strongly consider this option. Also I read somewhere that the sealants could damage the TPM sensor. Does anyone know if this is true?

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-50107-S...07643833&psc=1

I'm not really wanting to rant against BMW but rather try to be ready with the right solution if my tire goes flat and not leave me and the family stranded. I plan to discuss this with the dealership when I pick up my car in a few days..
Appreciate 0