View Single Post
      10-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
I'm torn on whether I want to go xDrive on my 340i order. I've got plenty of years driving rwd cars in Chicago winter with winter tires on, but I do like the simplicity of an AWD car + all seasons instead. Less hassle winter time, less expense (no need for an extra $1500 set of wheels/tires), etc.

All that said, I care about the driving characteristics of the car the most. Has anyone driven them side by side? Assuming msport 6sp for both, are there noticeable performance penalties on the xDrive? There typically are through higher drivetrain loss and added weight...
You will not get a consensus on this one - just lots of strong opinions on xdrive vs rear wheel drive. What most agree on, and backed up even by a recent consumer reports review, is that tires are much more important than rwd/fwd/awd in regards to traction. In Chicago with cold temps and a good amount of snow you really should put winter tires on regardless of whether you choose xdrive or RWD. I've chosen xDrive here in Cleveland for more security going up hills and for getting going from a standstill (the major advantage of xdrive) but still put winter tires on. Others prefer the feel of RWD even in snowy locations and in that case winter tires are a must.