Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Well, the ATS-V is a M3/M4 competitor...Cadillac is working on a smaller RWD car that will compete with the 2 series.

Really, I think BMW missed the boat by not making a 2 series Gran Coupe, or just a 1 series sedan. I also think that they should have made a M4 Gran Coupe, as the 4/M4 has a very long awkward roofline and the 4 series Gran coupe to my eyes looks better proportioned than the 4 series coupe or 3 series sedan.
My point was price...if the M2 is close to 60,000 it would be silly to pay that when the ATS V which is a M3/M4 competitor, would blow the doors off an M2 for the same money. That makes me think the M2 should be priced closer to $50000, but then its close to the M235i. This all makes me think the M2 may end up being underwelming as it can't get to close to the M4 in performance and price.
From a pure performance standpoint you may be right but the look of the ATS-V is not for everyone. It's loud and that's not everyone's cup of tea. The interior of the ATS that I have driven (6 cylinder model) was not that great either. The little chrome bits to me yell cheese more so than sophisticated. It's also a much bigger car than the 2 series. I think the real question is: why get an ATS-V when you can get a lightly optioned M3?

That's why I've always loved the M3 (with the E46 being my favorite from purely a design standpoint). You can be a mature, successful, grown up and drive it without feeling like you're going through a mid-life crisis.

Maybe when I see the ATS-V in person I will feel differently but for now my opinion is that from a styling perspective it attracts a different buyer.
Appreciate 0