10-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #9
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
I'm torn on whether I want to go xDrive on my 340i order. I've got plenty of years driving rwd cars in Chicago winter with winter tires on, but I do like the simplicity of an AWD car + all seasons instead. Less hassle winter time, less expense (no need for an extra $1500 set of wheels/tires), etc.

All that said, I care about the driving characteristics of the car the most. Has anyone driven them side by side? Assuming msport 6sp for both, are there noticeable performance penalties on the xDrive? There typically are through higher drivetrain loss and added weight...
Nice that the yanks have a choice of xdrive on the 340i

4wd v RWD it's down to preference and use.

If you are after a driver's car that sits 15mm lower and has a smooth straight six with great feedback and feel, I suggest choosing the RWD. With a set of winters, traction (not grip) will only be a problem on steep hills or deep snow.

For me wanting to tow, requiring good traction in the English sunshine (rain) and bad winters while having good handling with some RWD characteristics, xdrive is the answer. It sits 15mm higher but that's easily solved with ACS springs.
Appreciate 0