View Single Post
      11-02-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
That's what we strive for but cannot achieve. I'm in the automotive industry, and is a supplier to BMW. Parts in testing even made in the same batch will have variances in performance, and some by quite a bit.

Two autobild test on the M6 coupe. One test was in 2014 on the 575HP M6 CP it ran 0-300km in the 30 second range while in 2016 the 600HP M6 CP ran 35 seconds plus. Sure it wasn't tested on the same day but 5 seconds differences? And the 600HP was actually the slower one?

I do not believe differences are negligible, there bound to be some cars that are faster or slower.
I'm a big believer in what we always called "Monday cars" If you guys aren't familiar with the term, it means the car was built on a Monday when the guys were fresh and doing a better job..lol

I have had a few Monday cars and street bikes and a couple not so. I also believe that a lot has to do with how guys break in the toys. Not so much in cars but when I was riding street bikes they had very strict break in rules that I'm only recently seeing in cars.

The problem is that most people will just sit at 2-4k rps and almost wear grooves and smooth spots in those areas. So once the car/bike is broken in it's a bit limited or struggles to be a smooth at the high RPM's as things tighten up.

(Set the rings)

I'm all for breaking in my toys the way I plan to drive them. With some common sense of course. I don't race them around per say but I make sure to use all of the power band and RPM's but I shift and don't hold high RPM's either. In a perfect world I want my RPM's going up and down as much as possible during break in with cool down periods in between.

Turns out, I have in most cases ended up with the "Monday" bike or car over the years. Could be luck, could be how I break them in. Who knows. Just my two pennies

Race cars go out on fresh engines constantly, I have also had a few high end sand rails and other custom motors built and they have never told to me take it easy on break in. Maybe I'm wrong which is why I'm still somewhat careful. But, why is it that street bikes have always had break in rules and now faster cars? Why not the 330i? Conspiracy theorist would suggest that it's because they don't want us to kill ourselves in the first week and it gives us time to slowly get used to the car. Which is actually smart!
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires

Last edited by Hockeytyme; 11-03-2019 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 2
shoei7779.00