07-03-2022, 04:18 PM   #16
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
The question you should ask yourself is which car do you like better and would buy if they're both the same price?

Personally, I think the m5 sounds like a better deal...

Base MSRP on the m550 was mid 70K I think (74-80k ish?) depending on options?

Base MSRP on the m5C was 110-120k ish depending on options...

So if you look at it like that the M5 was @40k more new.

Now the m5 is only 14K more used, yes, with a little more miles... but even still same miles wouldn't be 40k more.

Some could argue much of the depreciation has already happened on the m5, to me it looks like the m550 may have a bit more depreciation to happen before the rate of depreciation slows down and starts to level out.

So I ask which one would you buy if they're both 61K?

Could also consider it from a new price perspective.

If the m550i was 75k new, and the M5 was 115k which would you buy?

Now, consider you could buy an m550 for 75k (msrp), and get a new m5c for 89k (14k more than the 550), so basically a discount off msrp of @25,000.00. Now which one would you buy?

To me the m5 looks like a better value.

All things being equal down the road... miles, options, condition, etc on both cars, the m5 in theory should always be worth more, and be more sought after.

The only reason I wouldn't consider the m5 is if it doesn't fit your needs. If there is something about the m550 that fits your family, driving habits, utility needs, whatever that may be, then go with the m550.

Im an advocate of always getting the model you want. 14K isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. (easy to say from a key board I know) but a lot of people opt for the lower model because it fits a strict budgetary need. With that said, if the M5 is something you've always wanted and its maybe just out of reach cost wise, see what you can do to tune up your budget, or make sacrifices elsewhere... if not, all that will happen is you'll park next to an m5 at a grocery store, or one of them will leave you in the dust one day on the way to work, and you'll be back in the market looking for an m5. THEN, at that stage, buying the m5 will cost you A LOT more, simply based on the short term ownership.

Reality is the 550 and m5 are both heavily depreciating items and neither should be considered if depreciation is a big factor. You should buy a Toyota, or Honda, if you want something that doesn't depreciate much.

But im in the camp if you dont buy the one you WANT more, you'll be back in a short time buying it, taking a bath on the one you settled for.
Appreciate 0