Thread: Vs Tesla P100D
View Single Post
      03-28-2024, 08:51 AM   #15
sullic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 911 Turbo, 2024 BMW M8 GC

First, let me say I have zero interest in EV's and I'm not an expert of the market of them. Neither am I a prospect for them. That said, traditional vendors face a major challenge in competing with Tesla. Tesla is pursuing a Henry Ford, Model T business model in a sense. They are focused on cost take out in manufacturing, and profitability per vehicle. They don't have bells and whistles because it impacts manufacturing costs and they focus on cost. It's cheaper to have a screen for all things versus buttons. Today, they claim the majority of profit in the EV market, and they are also one of the most profitable automakers per vehicle of any kind.

The German's lose money on EV's. Their production model is based around their ICE manufacturing process and Tesla's isn't. How Tesla designs and builds is much simpler and faster. Traditional vendors have to change how the manufacture and sell cars. Tesla doesn't build a car that isn't already sold today for the most part. Nothing is sitting on a lot per se. Yes, I'm sure they have some excess inventory, but little. They don't have dealerships taking part of the profit of the car, etc.

Tesla will have an advantage for a while, plus they are getting money from folks adopting their charging standard and usage of their network. Tesla challenge today is other China based EV manufacturers.

I could be missing something, but I don't see the math working for German's on EV's for a while. Tesla production costs will be scaling down, down, down over time, and the German's will be scaling up for a while as they transition. Tesla will continue to reduce price when needed to capture sales and squeeze other auto makers. It worked so well, that they now started to increase base prices again in Europe.

When Tesla's low price model hits, it will really put pressure on traditional vendors unless the buying market adopts my viewpoint which is that I have no interest in EV's, so no matter what price segment you offer, it's not for me.

Long live ICE, even if it is hybrid assisted.

2024 BMW M8 Gran Coupe Competition Black Sapphire Metallic
2018 Porsche 911.2 Turbo Guards Red
Appreciate 1
DarkM518.00