View Single Post
      03-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #184
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
This is not correct. I have the BimmerTech rear camera retrofit with SmartView. If you look at the picture below you'll see I have the Bimmerpost home page displayed on my nav screen. If you look even closer, I brought up the webpage connected to my home's WiFi network. The phone I'm using is a Galaxy S6. Sometimes the phone will warn that connecting to a WiFi network might interfere with the screen mirroring function. But so far it hasn't.

I haven't dug into the details as to how both can coexist being they both use WiFi for connectivity. One thing of note though, the SmartView system runs off of TCP/IP as its transport protocol. When you first fire up the system and switch to the SmartView display on your nav, on the right lower corner, you'll see the IP address SmartView is using. It's a 192.168.x.y address. I don't remember right now what value the x is. I'm not sure how the Garmin system works. But make sure it's not using the same IP address range.
Looked into the specs of the galaxy S6 and I do not see a double WiFi tranceiver, thus when you do look into the coexistence details of the Smart view and the additional home network (or BMW/Garmin HUD device) connection, I predict they'll prove prohibitive. If I'm misunderstanding anything: A similar NAV screen mirror picture while streaming content (say YouTube) from the home internet network through the phone would proof your point.
Appreciate 0