View Single Post
      09-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #14
olaosunt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235,JB4/ER DP/BMS INTAKE/MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaydriver View Post
The thing is it appears that BMW underrated our cars at 320hp as from what I have seen on this forum most stock dyno's come in at 290-310 whp. Meaning that the true crank hp number, once accounting for say, a 15% drivetrain loss would be more like 350 hp. What I have seen people pick-up from a JB4 with stock components has been about 30-60 whp depending on the map. So, I think the car in stock form should be good for 400-420 hp at the crank which gets it pretty much to M4 level. However, the M4 apparently is also underrated so a stock car on a good tune would be approaching but still just under M4 levels. I hate HP numbers. 1/4 mile is a better indication of how fast a car actually is. A stock car with only a tune should be able to land a 1/4 mile in the mid to low 12 second range by my calculations. The new M3 does it in 12.1 seconds according to car and driver. Compare that to other high horsepower cars and you will see that the M235i makes good use of its power.

EDIT: when I say stock components, I also mean pump gas
I don't think you are going to run low 12's on pump gas unless you have very favorable DA.
Best time so far in close to 3000ft DA on E30 1s 12.39.
Only MOD is JB4(and MPE) on map 7 at 17-18 psi boost.
Traps 112 mph off the highway consistently then starts to run slower after 2-3 passes.
I am looking for 11.99(then I will stop beating up on the car-hopefully still in one piece- nervous lol) and hoping to get there as weather cools and DA is reasonable.
I was trying to avoid down pipe(have a mustang with long tubes and catless-so have noisy car already) since my wife drives the car and may pass on to 16 year old daughter(detuned of course!)
After reading above post it may be harder than I though or not possible and may explain why car heatsoaks? and slows down so quickly

Appreciate 0