View Single Post
      02-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #18
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I would never buy/own a first year car simply because it's value is going to tank in 2 years when LCI is announced. Have a look at the E9X forums to see what happened to those who bought 2008 models or better yet the 2013 M5s in the F10 M5 forums. You are going to go mental when you see the LCI with competition package and how your car is now worth 3-5k less than what an LCI car is worth. It happens over and over again and people still get carried away and buy these first model year cars. Don't do it

In addition, paying MSRP pricing has far more effect when it comes to buying vs leasing. The MSRP is always what is residualized so in a way, you are only getting ripped off for 3 years worth of MSRP pricing vs when you are buying it, you are actually paying the whole thing.

The only financially feasible way to own this car is to lease it and with that you need to really hope that BMW does not do what they did with M5 launch or the previous M3 launch. We can hope and pray here, but we also know that's not going to happen. They know as well as we do that these cars are going to lose a lot of value when they are back in 3 years as LCI is going to come out. The M5 residual when it came out was 48%! Now it's 58%! Can you believe that? The M3 when it came out in 2008 had a 51% residual! When I leased my car, my residual in 2011 was 64%! These difference will move your monthly payments from anywhere $100 to $300/month. It's insane.

You have to have a pretty deep pockets to lease or buy this car now OR you need to get absolutely no options and go with a base model because as you add up all the options, the MSRP on the car easily crosses 82k and that's without CCBs.

My estimate is that the residual on the car will be around 53-55% at best. If it is 55%, I'll be dancing here. Money factor is probably not going to be great, but you know let's assume it will be what M5 has right now, which is pretty great and that is around 0.00081 with all securities down. Based on my math, a car that is somewhat mildly optioned with a sticker price of 76k will have a monthly payment of $1030 or so.

You can actually lease and M5 right now with an executive package for $1040/month. A fully loaded M5 with no CCB will go for $1200/month. Now I am throwing out the M5 here to show you guys how ridiculously the M3 is so expensive.

But we all know this don't we We are enthusiasts. Even if the cars were $1500/month, I'm sure we'd find a way to afford them
Appreciate 0