mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
Nearly bought a Tesla myself earlier this year. Was all set to lay my money down, but the test drive (in a P85) just didn't wow me enough. I got back into my M3 to drive home and it really didn't suffer at all in comparison. I had posted on the Tesla forum before the test drive and everyone there told me that the Model S would absolutely blow away my M3, so maybe my expectations were too high - after all I had been suckered by that Ezra Dyer video where a poorly-driven manual M5 loses a drag race to a Model S. That was big news on the Tesla forum. After my Tesla drive I found a used F10 M5 at a local Mercedes dealership and even though I told the salesman I wanted a new one he let me drive it - nice guy. Well, that test drive opened my eyes. Since the car was broken in I was able to floor it, and man was I hooked. This was the upgrade that I was looking for - faster than the Tesla and far superior in cabin comfort and luxury. i found a new M5 in June at Fremont BMW with exactly the options that I wanted and I snapped it up for a great price - less than the Tesla. In my opinion it is just the superior automobile. The Tesla is a great car, and good for the planet - but I'll take my M5 over it in a heartbeat.

OP: Have you completed break-in yet? If not, you are in for a real treat when you unleash the true beast. Enjoy!
1000% agree.

I have a '13 M5. Was going to add a Tesla to my fleet as a toy. Was looking at top of the line loaded Tesla P85+ performance with all options. I was excited about the test drive but disappointed afterwards. Good car but can't compare to the M5. I felt like it was a step back in luxury, quality and performance.

If the car was 75k to 80k maxed out loaded it would be in my garage and I'd consider a decent value. However at 120k after credits it's 50% overpriced relative to an M5 or others in similar class like Mercedes S.
Appreciate 0