Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
The older cars are much more difficult to drive. They had narrow bias ply tires, no downforce, 400+hp through said narrow tires, manual transmission without synchros, etc.

The drivers were driving on tracks with no run-off and minimal safety features, meaning what is now a minor moment of oversteer and a trip through the asphalt after a corner was a fatal accident. No seatbelts, cork helmets, etc.

Of course, modern cars pull more G forces, but difficulty of driving a car is so much more than simply lateral acceleration.

A more apt comparison is to go out in an old GTI with engine mods giving it double the power, no seatbelt or other safety features, bad tires, and drive it at 10/10ths on a track with no safety features.

The new-ish F1 car I drove at Paul Ricard was much easier to drive on the limit than the old 1970s Formula Fords I've driven a few hot laps in. By a significant margin.
Interesting. Were you driving the new-ish F1 car at the edge of the performance envelope? I'm not talking about tooling around at 60 or 70 percent. I'm discussing wringing the last erg of performance from the vehicle.

The break away for modern cars is savage. The cars of the past don't do this unless there is an unforeseen change in the coefficient of friction.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0