First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5KEITH View Post
You have bad engine coils and or spark plugs. Same thing happened to my wifes X5 (has the twin turbo 4.4 liter motor) got same message and check engine light at 35,000 miles.

A basic scan tool will confirm fault codes. In our case it was cylinder 6 but replaced all of them at a cost of $1700 for all 8 coils and 8 new spark plugs.
I just had the sparkplugs changed on my M5 under the last free maintenance this past August, my M5 only had 9.5k and I surprised they changed them out. I asked the service advisor how much would I be looking at if the spark plug was not covered under the free maintenance, he told me around $800.

Moving forward I will more then likely keep my M5 (2018) for the foreseeable future. I started pricing out coils and sparkplugs and I will do the maintenance myself. Two different web sites for the same parts come in at $434.24 (coils and plugs) and $632.80 (coils and plugs).

My wife's 2012 VW GTI that she can not separate with had 2 of the 4 ignition coils fail as just over 39k miles. I now carry a complete set of coils in the rear hatch area and instructed her how they are changed out if I am not around the area. Unlike the M5 the GTI's are easy to access at the top portion of the engine.
FCP Euro - Lifetime Warranty.