PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaygee View Post
I think Spider box works differently to most to be honest, the box contains 25 Engine Maps - and adaptive scan functions which switches to how you are driving at the time.

The power delivery is not crude like you would find if the box simply increased fuel pressure.

Deejaygee.

I should explain what I meant by crude. I'm not suggesting that the power delivery is anything less than smooth. I know you get good results from tuning boxes.

I have done a fair bit of reasearch on Tuning Boxes etc over the past few Years and what I mean by crude is that a tuning box can only alter the fuel by either upping the pressure or increasing pulse width (duration of each squirt) this does have an indirect effect on boost too - as the engine temp and pressure rises and produces hotter gases that spool the turbo more.

Both tuning boxes I have used made the car smoke - by overfueling the engine resulting in some it cannot burn (not enough O2) under hard acceleration. Emissions are effected too.

A remap however can adjust the fuel pressure in the rail, injector timings, pulse width, air intake, turbo pressure, etc etc and works in harmony with the cars ECU -so it effectively re programmes the car to deliver better performance with no smoking at all.

PhilR
Appreciate 0