View Single Post
      04-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #18
Rockstar1487
Tarnished One
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
Is there anything more sexy on a cool spring day then the sound of a turbine spooling up?
Maybe if there were two turbines spooling up and were singing in harmony?
If it were up to me and I was BMW...I would have made 1 turbo just a little bigger than the other just to get the girls to sing =)

But yes it's very normal.
To keep turbos alive invest in very good oil.
When you turn her on in the mornings give her a solid 1min to 2min to get the oil moving. And after a very long hod drive allow her 2 min or so to wash off the super hot bearings.
Yes you do have an electric water pump and that's very nice but your oil pump is still engine driven, so that little 2 min gives that hot oil so leave and cooler oil to cool things down.
I got 130k miles from my 1.8T VW and it was doing just fine when I sold her.
i allow mine to cool off and start up about the same as this. you really got to think to yourself though about what is a hard drive and whats not. for instance if you're coming off the highway or the interstate and you look at your oil temp gauge and its just about halfway and you were driving about 75-85 mph the whole way, then i would let it sit for 2-3 mins when you finally park your car. yeah the 2-3 mins gets boring but its worth it. very good oil is also key

best of luck op.

Retired: 05 MB 330i, 08 CS 135i, 17 EB M240i, 13 CB 135is, 16 ABM M4
Appreciate 0