Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 Avus Blue/Sakhir full

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWjunkie View Post
Well, apparently too much HP/TQ for the DCT, right? But as mentioned in thread, Porsche manages to continue using a double-clutch in a high HP/TQ Panamera Turbo. So WTF, right? I love my DCT - I know the new trans doesn't have a torque converter, supposedly, but if it isn't at least as good as the DCT for performance/fun I'll never consider the damn thing.
Porsche doesn't even share that transmission within VAG. Audi, for example, just stuck the ZF 8-speed in the new RS5 "because a DCT couldn't handle the torque". We know that's not true, since the same engine (and more powerful ones) have DCT's in Porsche models. And in BMW models, for that matter. As for why BMW's existing DCT wasn't used, I imagine it wasn't designed for AWD, and if Audi didn't get access to the DCT, BMW sure wouldn't. My understanding is they got the shift times in the new M ZF down to 100ms. If so that's as fast as the best DCT's on the market, and better than any competitors (most of which are at 200ms). BMW is already known for having the best programming of the ZF, I'll wait to experience the new M5 before assuming they suddenly forgot what they were doing when it came to transmission logic on this version.
I agree it's a wait and see thing, and for the M5 it's probably the best fit. It's an Autobahn blaster now, not a canyon carver. I guess any fun cars that make us feel like we have control over their shifting should be enjoyed while they are still around...before everything goes silently electric!
BMWCCA #156196 since 5/1998
Current - F80 Avus Blue/SO - ED in Nov 2016 - Bootmod3 and BSW Stage1/Ghost Subs/Amp, '13 Ferrari 458 Italia, '17 X6M (wife's!)
Past - '12 X5 35i, '13 335i EBII/Black M-Sport PPK, '10 335i M-Sport, '03 M5, '02 530ia M-Sport, '01 330i Sport 5spd, '01 540ia M-sport (RIP), '97 M3, '96 328i Sport
Appreciate 0