View Single Post
      01-21-2020, 03:24 AM   #21
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
What are those fender liners I see on the car?
"Fender Wheel Arch Extensions". Probably a UK market feature.

I had also noticed a similar feature during the Belgian preview of the F90 M5 back in May 2017 (on display in the "discovery room"). Those were attached to the top of the fender wheel arch, but more discreet. In my brief write-up I described it as "tiny discreet mud flaps (grey/black plastic) mounted on the top part of the rear wheel wells" (see here).

During the Belgian preview of the M2 CS last September 2019 I did not see those extensions. So, as said, it's probably market-specific for the UK (model code 1J32 = M2 CS EUR + RHD).

Function: "Rear Fender Wheel Arch Extensions". See this F90 M5 dedicated thread. Explanations: "My Canadian spec does not have this", "Certain countries do not allow the wheel to protrude past the bodywork so this is a shortcut manufacturers use." and "ALL UK M5's have that on them."

RealOEM: see part #15 ("Protective film, wheel arch") of this F90 M5 diagram (source: here):

See also for example (aftermarket) (here) ("2PC Black Rear Fender Wheel Arch Extensions for BMW G30 5-Series & F90 M5"):

Just my $0.02.